Saturday, 27 October 2012

The discerning tramp

As promised here, I ran a poll on which strong “craft” beers people had drunk, the results of which are shown on the right. A good turnout of 103, and a surprisingly low proportion who had never tried any, although possibly some readers spotted a rather “beery” poll and moved on.

A narrow win for Duvel over Chimay, with Old Tom third and BrewDog, which has only been around for about three years, still recording over 50%. Of course all these are high-quality beers sipped in moderation by discerning consumers, and are never used as a fast lane to oblivion in the way of Special Brew. To be honest, apart perhaps from Duvel, it would be hard work to drink any of them rapidly.

5 comments:

  1. Hard work to drink any of them rapidly?

    what sort of wuss are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a discerning drinker who knows how to savour his beer at a measured pace.

    You, in contrast, are a pisshead who just necks it as quickly as humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously a gluten for punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago I came across a reference to "lawnmower beer" on an American site - this apparently being a type of beer that you knock back after doing the lawn, & consequently doesn't have to be much good.

    I invariably have a Duvel after I mow the lawn. I don't know if this says more about Duvel or about me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way back in the mists of time I did a course in some dreary IT related subject at a course centre whose bar stocked Duvel, which we'd invariably had a glass or two off in the break. Good times, good times.

    Lawnmower beer: a good description of having a cold Heineken (bottle of course) after having done a long day of hard manual labour, sometime in summer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, especially on older posts, may be subject to prior approval. Bear with me – I may be in the pub.

Please be polite and remember to play the ball, not the man.

Any offensive or blatantly off-topic comments will be deleted.

See this post for some thoughts on my approach to blog comments.