Sunday 21 April 2013

The one that got away

When I was compiling the list of my best pub experiences of recent years, I inadvertently missed off what must rank amongst the top handful, the reason being that I’d noted it down in a different place...
The Great Western, Wolverhampton – Holden’s tied pub hidden away round the back of the station, offering the full range of their beers, three guests and Batham’s superb Best Bitter. Classic front bar and a variety of areas rambling back to a conservatory and beer garden. Lively, bustling atmosphere, busy throughout the day.
The pub hosts the annual meeting of a non beer-related society that I belong to (this one, if you really want to know), and yesterday it was as good as ever. Batham’s sells at a considerable premium over the Holden’s beers (£2.90 to £2.40 for Holden’s Bitter), but still appears to be the best seller. I did a fuller write-up here. I have now amended the original post accordingly, so it now lists eleven pubs, not ten.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, excellent choice. I've only been a few times, but have been impressed every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, Cambridge22 April 2013 at 12:56

    I know pubs aren't for eating in, but it does serve really good cheap meals as well (and very quickly). The wide range of customers is really noticeable.

    By the way, have you been in the Baum, and if so what did you think ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to The Great Western for the first time last year and it's high up the list of pubs I'd go to again. The Holden's Bitter there was one of the best pints I drank on my trip to the Black Country.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, especially on older posts, may require prior approval by the blog owner. See here for details of my comment policy.

Please register an account to comment. Unregistered comments will generally be rejected unless I recognise the author. If you want to comment using an unregistered ID, you will need to tell me something about yourself.