Saturday 2 March 2024

Branded

In the early 2000s, I visited Brussels several times on business trips. I was struck by how all of the well-known Belgian beers had their own specific design of glass – Duvel, Chimay, Orval and even Kwak which needed a little wooden support to stop the glass falling over. It was a very distinctive and characterful part of the drinking experience.

At the time, this was virtually unknown in this country, but over the succeeding twenty-odd years branded glasses have become increasingly common here. At first it was simply standard designs with a brand logo, such as the well-known John Smith’s Extra Smooth tulip, but it then evolved into each brand having its own characteristic and unique form. The Stella chalice, as shown, was one of the first to become commonplace.

Now, Guinness and pretty much every leading lager brand have their own individual glass design. This obviously helps to promote the brand, and leads to drinkers having a sense of ownership and feeling they are making a statement about what they are drinking. On the other hand, it could be argued that it helps people distinguish what are essentially pretty samey beers.

One obvious problem is that branded glasses are much more likely to be stolen than plain ones, particularly ones of a highly distinctive form such as the Leffe chalices now seen in Wetherspoon’s. However, my understanding is that they tend to be provided either free or at a substantial discount by brewers, so they may not be too concerned about their promotional material ending up in people’s houses.

Personally, I have to say I’m not a fan of stemmed pint glasses, which to me come across as unwieldy. That includes many leading brands such as Stella, San Miguel and Cruzcampo. I also find gold-rimmed glasses a touch “icky”. And getting a beer in the wrong branded glass is surely much worse than getting one in a plain glass.

This tweet illustrates the pitfalls of serving beer in the wrong glassware. Surely in this case, even a plain stemmed glass (which Wetherspoon’s have large stocks of) would have been better than an unmarked conical.

As I mentioned in my post about guest ales, the lack of branded glasses arguably puts cask at something of a disadvantage. Plenty of beers do have their own glasses but, like the Bass one, they tend to be just standard designs with the appropriate logo on it. Some brewers such as Robinson’s have generic branded glasses for their own pubs, and Lees have introduced the distinctive “grip” glass for their cask ales, although personally I’m not a fan. And, by definition, ever-changing guest ales are not going to come with a branded glass. Some pubs do make up for this by having a stock of glasses with their own logo.

I recently ran a Twitter poll on this which produced some remarkably symmetrical results. Half of respondents thought that a branded glass did enhance their experience of drinking at least to some extent, while another half felt it made no difference or was actively offputting. I suspect, given the nature of my followers, the sample was heavily biased towards people who mainly drink cask.

Branded glasses are certainly here to stay, and it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that to some degree they do give pub drinking more of a sense of occasion. Plus a good-looking pint in its own glass might tempt others to try it. So, even when it is on as a permanent beer, this is something where cask possibly does lose out when it is competing for attention with other beers.

21 comments:

  1. The glassware does affect the experience, if not the taste. I was recently served a real ale in a Carling glass and even though it was a decent pint, it gave me a poor impression of the pub and it just didn’t feel right. It certainly didn’t make me want to stay for another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus branded lager glasses tend to be nucleated, and thus will make a pint of cask as flat as a fluke.

      Delete
  2. A couple of points. First, I too am not a fan of stemmed pint glasses, especially as they are far too easy to knock over.
    Second, mention should be made of the awful Adnams glass, which not only is just wrong on every count, but also detracts from the enjoyment of a decent pint of Southwold Bitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some stemmed glasses are worse than others in that respect. The San Miguel one isn't too bad as it has a fairly short stem and broad base, and the glass itself tapers towards the top and so has a low centre of gravity.

      I don't think I've encountered the Adnams glass, although a quick Google suggests I wouldn't be a fan.

      Delete
  3. One of the worst stemmed pint glasses is the O’ Hara’s stemmed pint glass and probably the glass measure sized glass. Real pity as it is used in Mulligans of Poolbeg street and detracts from the nectar that is O’ Hara’s single dry stout.
    Oscar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Guinness tankards way back in the 70s. For anything else you got a jug or straight depending on what was on the shelf at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some pubs in Ireland still have them behind counters more have the old or recently reissued Guinness tankard branding.
      Osvar

      Delete
    2. I still have a Guinness tankard from when my father-in-law gave up his pub in the seventies! As it's the only glass tankard I have, I use it for my favourite beer - 'Bishop's Finger' by Sheps, as well as Guinness from a can. I've still got the Guinness half-pint stemmed glass, which is a beauty too!

      Delete
    3. The old Guinness pots are a lovely elegant design.
      Oscar

      Delete
  5. Professor Pie-Tin2 March 2024 at 16:52

    If I receive a branded glass I will only drink it with the brand facing me perfectly in line with my chin.
    I have absolutely no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same. Currently I am drinking from a non-oversized pint glass from Consett Ale Works. I did not nick it, paid £2.50 for it at the beer festival there last week.

      Delete
  6. Sam Smiths were using branded glasses 30 or more years ago, and still do. That white rose is distinctly classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and, shock horror, Humphrey's now put a new design on them.

      Delete
    2. Sam's have corporate branded glasses, not ones for each specific beer, with the exception, I think, of Pure Brewed Lager. I think they also had specific glasses for Organic Wheat Beer, which now seems to have disappeared.

      Delete
    3. Yes.

      Delete
  7. Decent presentation shows a gaff cares about the product they are serving.
    Always surprised at the shoddy presentation of most real ales in award winning camra pubs. Often overflowing sticky glasses, scratched old glasses. If you care, if it's a quality product, if you are proud of the quality of what you serve, serve it well with the best presentation. It's not that much more effort.

    As for branded glasses. I love 'em. Got a cupboard full of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back in my rugby days, we never had straight glasses, just mugs, and any post-match 'game' demanding a forfeit included drinking one or several 'windows' on the jug! I still prefer jugs actually...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corporate branded glasses have been in the Midlands for over thirty years now.
    In Spring 1993 Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries announced that "by the end of August our customers in over 2000 outlets will see ...... NEW Branded glassware and illuminated founts for Banks's Mild and Bitter and Harp Lager. More than one million new, oversized badged glasses are being introduced in a major initiative to ensure that the right beer is served in the right glass. Furthermore we believe we are the first company in the country to offer its key brands in their own distinctive branded glasses".
    As for "Guinness tankards way back in the 70s" I think these were individually made and not in common use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what happened to all those oversize glasses when they got rid of the metered dispense?

      I certainly remember smooth-sided, barrel-shaped Guinness tankards from the 1970s.

      Delete
    2. The half-pint version looked just tiny, and customers often queried the measure! They were made from quite thin glass, stamped with the name in gold, and the handles were not easy to keep intact when washing up! I broke my last one, sadly...

      ps - I've still got a Guinness penknife, still with a really sharp blade, and of course, a bottle opener!

      Delete
  10. Branded stemmed lager glasses are an elite plot to feminise young men and create a weak generation of soyboys that don't know if they are a boy or a girl. The great reset where there will be no freedom, and no pubs. Government ration cards for fake meat, bugs and chemical passifiers.

    This must be resisted. Straight glasses. Not gender bending weirdo glasses.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, especially on older posts, may require prior approval by the blog owner. See here for details of my comment policy.

Please register an account to comment. Unregistered comments will generally be rejected unless I recognise the author. If you want to comment using an unregistered ID, you will need to tell me something about yourself.