Monday 13 June 2016

On the quiet

Stonch has recently revamped the format of his blog to what to my eyes is a triumph of form over substance, where things keep abruptly jumping out at you. I took him to task about this on Twitter, but he pointed out that most people – 75%, he reckoned – would be reading it on smartphones or tablets where the desktop format made no difference.

That’s as maybe, but it does underline the point that all the stuff in the sidebar of blogs doesn’t appear in the mobile view. So all those carefully-curated quotations, blogrolls and mission statements remain unread. This also covers polls.

For a few weeks now, I’ve been featuring a poll on the EU referendum, using the actual question we will be asked to answer a week on Thursday. At first it was tucked away down at the bottom, but I’ve now moved it up to the top. I have deliberately not promoted it on Twitter, and have asked others to do the same, as last time I did an election poll it was widely touted around by others and the results were thus skewed. So here it is:

POLL: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?
 
pollcode.com free polls

This is the actual poll question that will be asked on 23 June.

It’s interesting that, last time I looked, the results were showing a narrow 52% to 48% lead for Leave.

This will be the last time I mention it before I close it on the morning of Thursday 23rd June.

3 comments:

  1. I read blogs through the excellent Inoreader on my PC so hadn't even noticed the format change. Yes, one is reminded of the period where animated GIFs were all the rage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have helped to push the Leave result to 53%.

    Remaining hopeful,
    Churchmouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a feed reader so never see any layouts or polls.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, especially on older posts, may require prior approval by the blog owner. See here for details of my comment policy.

Please register an account to comment. Unregistered comments will generally be rejected unless I recognise the author. If you want to comment using an unregistered ID, you will need to tell me something about yourself.