Friday 21 October 2022

Many unhappy returns

I recently had a somewhat unedifying experience in one of my local Wetherspoon’s:

One or two people suggested that I shouldn’t have complained about it, as the pint was changed without demur, which indeed it was, although the novice barperson had to consult with his supervisor first. Indeed, Wetherspoon’s in general have a very creditable policy of changing duff beer without quibble. You never get “have you tasted it?” or “real ale’s meant to be like that”.

But surely having to return a pint is something that should only be necessary on very rare occasions. The customers shouldn’t be expected to do the pub’s quality control for them, and it shouldn’t be regarded as a regular hazard of choosing cask beer. Indeed, that was the second time in a row when ordering a guest ale in Spoons had resulted in it going straight back.

The whole business of taking beer back to be bar is fraught with difficulty. Many people are understandably very reluctant to do, on the grounds that they’ve gone out for a drink, not a confrontation. I wonder how many drinkers would have struggled through that duff pint and ordered a Shipyard or a Guinness next. On CAMRA pub crawls, when the group have returned poor beer, I’ve occasionally seen an old boy in the corner pluck up the courage to do the same.

I’m normally pretty dogmatic about it if there’s an obvious fault such as the beer being cloudy or vinegary. Beer is so expensive nowadays that you shouldn’t have to put up with poor quality. But it’s more difficult if the problem is a more subjective one, such as the beer simply being in general a bit stale, flat and warm. If I knew the landlord, I might mention it, but there again the pubs where I know the landlord are not those likely to serve poor beer very often.

In an unfamiliar pub, though, discretion can often be the better part of valour. If it’s a pub that I’ve just visited for the one pint, and am never likely to visit again, just leaving the beer and walking out may be a better option than having an argument. When making a complaint, you always need to have a clear view of what your objective is. If it’s getting a replacement, that’s fair enough, but in a pub with only one cask beer you may not want any of the replacements. A refund is also a valid aim, although that can leave a sour taste in the mouth. But if you just want to have a bit of a scene it may be wise to count to ten and walk away. And I’ve heard other customers remark “some people just come out to complain!”

Most of us who enjoy cask beer will choose most of the time to drink it either in familiar places where we have a reasonable expectation of a good pint, or in those recommended to us by friends, social media or publications such as the Good Beer Guide. But we have to recognise that our experience can be very unrepresentative. Once you venture “off grid”, the experience of drinking cask beer can too often be pretty dismal, as I found back in 2011 in and around Hereford.

I do make a point of sometimes seeking out new pubs, or ones I haven’t visited for years, and I have to say sometimes it’s very disappointing. For example, I recently called in at a pub that had been described as a community local but in fact was more of a smart dining pub. Four beers on the bar, all good ones from the better-known micros. I chose my favourite amongst them, but it was terrible – hazy, no head, full of bubbles, slightly off aroma. It was changed for another, which to be honest wasn’t all that much better. But it always takes a lot of moral courage to return two beers in succession as frankly, however, justified, it tends to make you look like a bit of an arse. So I drank it and went on my way, and I don’t think I’ll be going back there in the near future. That isn’t at all untypical of going “off grid” and, very often, the pubs where that happens also have the dearest beer.

And, every time someone feels the need to return a pint to the bar - or indeed chickens out of it - the reputation of cask beer takes another little knock.

(There are some reflections on the issues around returning beer on this post by Martin Taylor.)

18 comments:

  1. Excellent points, well made.

    Increasingly I can't be bothered with a confrontation over a duff half, though I'd probably always take back a pint in a pub I knew well. No-one goes out for a confrontation, unless they're looking for blog material or something to write on Mumsnet.

    As I always say, the duff pint remains the exception, though I sense it's getting more common in the food-led pub with little wet trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wouldn't take a half back unless I was staying.

      Delete
  2. On the money. I went into a micro just over the Staffs border a few weeks ago that is known for its beer, and on a Friday evening it was rammed, but my pint was foul. Changed without question, but it shouldn't be required. As you suggest, the likelihood of taking a pint back is an analogue thing, and a function of where I am and how bad the pint is: if it is awful, it goes back regardless, if it's just a bit below par, then it'll go back if it's somewhere I drink regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Spinko.

    Generally when I get a bad pint it's because I've not done my research. Either beforehand, or with a quick glance around at what others are drinking.

    When there's ten blokes at 11:10 with a Bass on the go like at one of my Stockton locals...then you've done you're research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the banked Bass in The Sun, Spinko ? One of the best pints in the country, and a great pub (80% Carling, and all the better for it !).

      Delete
    2. Yes, if you do your research you can confine your drinking to places where the likelihood of getting a duff pint is very small. But the point is that, once you venture off the straight and narrow path, your chances greatly increase. And that's the image cask is presenting to many non-enthusiast drinkers.

      I was visiting this particular Wetherspoon's to have a meal - if I'd solely been after a pint I probably wouldn't have gone there.

      Delete
  4. A tricky, and often fraught subject, and something that only really occurs with cask beer. There's been much written, and commented on regarding this contentious subject during the past few months, some of it by me, but no one seems to know the answer, apart from the obvious one - if you can empty a cask within three days, then you shouldn't be selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bass is never duff22 October 2022 at 08:15

    You ought to confine your drinking to groups of your CAMRA associates.

    Then you are in a group of moral righteousness that will support, encourage and expect you to complain about your duff half of Greene King IPA and ensure you get your £1.60 back before venturing to do likewise in the next pub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veering only very slightly off-topic mudge, here is why real ale drinkers are more manly than lager drinkers...

    https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/how-lager-is-turning-fellas-into-stellas/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had to take a beer back for a while now which is a lot better than the start of the year, I think there is no excuse for getting a bad beer if the pub has not been open for long at lunchtime, they should do a taste test prior to opening. Several hours later the same beer may be on the turn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've taken a pint back twice in the past decade or two I can remember, all these in the past year or so,
    Spoons in Crook and Spoons in Newcastle/Quauside. I almost took a Boltmake back in Old Elm Tree in Durham but it was my final pint of a very good day so I just left it there.

    That is not bad at all I think. For instance the Holy Grale micropub(?) in Durham only has one cask ale, Allendale's Pennine pale ale. The best pint in Durham, always nicely cool, fresh, tip top.

    On the whole, cask ale is served cooler in the north east, say TTL or Bass in half moon - a must stop. But to think about it, Bitter and Twisted in Victoria Inn last Saturday was just so excellent, everything was so right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken back three in the past month! And, back in May, when Sir Quinno and I were treated to a tour or rural pubs in Berkshire by Tim Thomas, we had to return two in succession in the same pub which, although not a current GBG entry, falls into the "highly regarded" category. I think strength in numbers helped there.

      Delete
  9. My experience that it is pointless taking a beer back as all I get is "That's how it's meant to be.".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall an occasion where I've been flat-out refused, although sometimes they can be a bit sniffy about it.

      Wetherspoon's no-quibble approach is commendable.

      Delete
  10. I was on holiday in York this week. I had some very fine Taylors Golden Best and Landlord. However the best beer was the Tetley Original Cask which was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had a problem returning a pint that I can recall. It helps if its visually poor, as it gives a clear signal to the bar staff, and not having drunk too much of it. I appreciate some beers are meant to cloudy but these are rarely found in standard issue pubs. However I will often chew through a marginal beer, so perhaps have fewer confrontations than some ale drinkers, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spot on Mudgie. I often chance my arm and go off grid and it shouldn’t be a lottery…I still ask them to change it and apart from one honourable exception pubs have been happy to do so

    ReplyDelete
  13. Professor Pie-Tin25 October 2022 at 23:12

    If a pint is bad I always take it back whatever the pub or occasion.
    To not do so is giving in to the cheap bastards who know they're selling you a duff pint.
    And if they don't know it's bad they're in the wrong business.
    Fuck 'em with their it's meant to be like that BS.
    And if they want a scene I'm happy to cause one.
    Never let the tail wag to dog.
    I love being a cranky old git. I've served a long enough apprenticeship.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, especially on older posts, may require prior approval by the blog owner. See here for details of my comment policy.

Please register an account to comment. Unregistered comments will generally be rejected unless I recognise the author. If you want to comment using an unregistered ID, you will need to tell me something about yourself.