Friday 7 January 2022

If you don’t get bitter, you’ll just get Boddies

In the US market, several beers that would be called Bitter in the UK are referred to as “Pub Ales” or some similar formulation, as in the Boddingtons Pub Ale shown in the photo. This has prompted another round of discussion on social media about how brewers, in the UK too, are increasingly reluctant to actually use the term “Bitter” to describe their products.

This was sparked off by Gary Gillman in this blogpost, to which Boak and Bailey responded here. It is a subject that I addressed back in 2019 in a post entitled The Beer That Dare Not Speak its Name. The main reason for this in North America is that they have no history of beers actually being called “bitter”, and the flavour connotations of the term are thought to be offputting.

However, in this country, as Boak and Bailey point out, it is more a case of Bitter being seen as something old-fashioned that your dad drank, which is the same problem that Mild experienced a generation before. But, as I argued, it is denying your product’s heritage, and there is no consensus as to what should replace it. “Nobody ever, when asked the question ‘what type of beer do you enjoy drinking?’ replies ‘Oh, I like amber ale’.”

Gary is very knowledgeable about the world of beer, and especially its history, but he is writing from a North American perspective, and I think he rather misses the mark in complaining than many bitters “show excessive caution in their hopping level.” That may be a matter of personal preference, but it does not mean that such beers are not true to style.

The origins of the term are obscure, but it seems to have developed in the mid-19th century as a may of distinguishing the new pale ales from the older mild beers. Yes, it was more heavily hopped than milds, but that didn’t mean it was particularly bitter.

We don’t know now whether bitters from before the First World War were more bitter than they are today (although they certainly were markedly stronger), but that is beyond the memory of any drinkers alive today. And, since the Second World War, it has always been the case that many bitters were fairly sweet, and few could be said to be particularly bitter. The term had become a generic description of a particular class of beer, not a descriptor of flavour.

In the late 1970s I went to university in Birmingham , where the main (indeed almost the only) bitters available were Ansells and M&B Brew XI, both of which are described as “sweet” in the 1977 Good Beer Guide. Brew XI then was probably the best-selling bitter in the country. The brewery section contains a number of similar references, alongside such terms as “light” and “subtle” which indicate a similar lack of heavy hopping.

There were some notably bitter beers around at the time, such as Boddington’s, Holt’s, Yates & Jackson and Youg’s Ordinary, but they were very much in the minority. There is probably some truth in the belief that the bitterness of some beers has been reduced in the intervening forty-odd years to make them palatable to a wider market, but within the memory of people drinking today there never was a golden age when Bitter really was bitter.

And today, if asked to give an example of an archetypal British Bitter, most people would suggest a “balanced” brew such as Harvey’s Sussex Best or Taylor’s Boltmaker rather than one noted for being assertively hoppy. And the current best-seller, Sharp’s Doom Bar, certainly isn’t.

23 comments:

  1. Back when the ale was just called bitter, pubs and the ale were far more popular.
    Now it's all called the ale and it's all this CAMRA muck and it's dying a death. Most of it is horrible undrinkable homebrew drank by weirdoes.
    Bring back a decent pint of Boddingtons and get rid of all this never heard of it CAMRA bog water and pubs will thrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of a decent pint of Boddingtons!!
      Going to a pub now I tend to ask for a traditional bitter. Harvey's Sussex Best is a great example.

      Delete
    2. Boddingtons was a fantastic beer prior to the Whitbread takeover. A genuine regional taste borne of millworkers thirst.

      Delete
    3. It was spoilt by Boddingtons themselves in the early 80s well before the Whitbread takeover. Something to do with changing the production process to increase volumes.

      Delete
  2. I don't think B and B were referencing me as such, they don't mention me unless I missed it. I just think many bitters would benefit from a greater hop impact, in flavour and aroma too. I recall many 30 and 40 years ago with good bitterness, I mentioned some on Twitter. Not sure this is a North American view, I see it as an informed beer observer's view. I think brewing beers more to historical lines (prewar and 1800s) would show the glory of English beer to even greater advantage. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

    Gary Gillman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were picking up on a discussion that you had started rather than specifically responding to you.

      While a beer enthusiast may well think that many bitters would benefit from more hops, their everyday drinkers might not agree. There have always been exceptions, but in the post-war era most British bitters have never been particularly bitter.

      Delete
  3. I've always drunk bitter as my first preference; in my early pub days "bitter" was never literally bitter, except for a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste. Who would actually want to drink something that actually is bitter anyway? Bitter is not a term of affection. What I know as proper bitters are Robinsons, Boddingtons, Holts, Hydes, Lees, Thwaites and the bygone names Wilsons and Chesters. These bitters certainly never had the strong, raw taste of hops that modern craft beers have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno - I think the bitterness of bitter, even if it is mainly confined to the aftertaste, is one of the things that most makes it stand out from soft drinks (and alcopops). As such it's a real stumbling-block to people who aren't used to it, leading to the 60s/70s (/80s?) rite of passage of going to the pub with older friends/colleagues/relations, drinking pints of bitter because they were in front of you and only subsequently acquiring the taste. (Or is that a myth? My first taste of beer was from a pin of London Pride when I was 15, and I certainly didn't have to force down several pints - I was sold almost immediately.)

      Delete
    2. Who would actually want to drink something that actually is bitter anyway?I present to you... IPA drinkers.

      Delete
    3. @Phil - of course it's bitter when compared with soft drinks or alcopops, but in terms of the overall palette of beer flavours, most "bitter" really isn't particularly bitter.

      Delete
  4. I spent pretty much all of my drinking life in the 20th century from the mid 70s drinking what was termed bitter although most of it was malty and sweet as mudgie points out, mostly Courage Best which was the prevalent beer in my area, the only occasional relief from this mono drinking was Youngs bitter. I'm so glad of the hop revolution and the variety it offers even if many others seem to despise it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bitter is same as pale ale, just give it a touch more crystal malt, or even a handful of black malt. Voila! Bob's your uncle, your pale ale just became a Bitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admit I did a "double take," when I read B & B's article, especially as I've never heard of the term "Pub Ale." We know that our transatlantic friends have come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful beer styles, but Pub Ale is a new one on me.

    Perhaps it's supposed to convey something English, seeing as the Yanks have bars, rather than pubs, but why ditch a name that's been around since the end of the 19th Century. I also disagree strongly with B & B's assertion that "bitter" is seen as an old-fashioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether you like it or not, it can't be denied that the term "bitter" *is* widely seen as old-fashioned, hence why so many breweries are dropping it. See the earlier blogpost that I linked to.

      Delete
    2. I read the linked post before commenting, Mudge. Tandleman had some much stronger words than me to say about the absurdity of the situation. It reminds me of "Newspeak" from Orwell's 1984.

      Delete
    3. Other point is, you'll get people wondering how to distinguish between that and other amber ales.

      Delete
    4. "Boddingtons, Holts, Yates & Jackson and Youngs Ordinary" - good list of some of my favourite beers (at least from some years ago).

      [IPW]

      Delete
  7. An ancient Scot I drank "heavy" and "export" and often Guinness, which was good back then in Scotland.
    Later moved to Herts with frequent visits to all parts of England and Wales. I loved bitter, and the local varieties. The Guinness was normally a disappointment.
    What I now miss are the huge variety in bottled beer. The "brown" "light" stouts, milk stouts, porters, barley wine and more.
    And now bitter seems too cold and too gassy - and who knows what the gas is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Youngs Bitters brewed in Wandsworth and Yates and Jackson Bitter are the bitters i miss the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to drink Youngs bitter in the Alexandra near Wimbledon station, it was good. I also remember the older albino chap working there.

      Delete
    2. The Stafford Mudgie12 January 2022 at 12:06

      Was that in the "knees-up bar, leg-over lounge" days of the Alex ?

      Delete
  9. When we were on table service only rules, asking "what's the bitter?" got a recitation of what was on handpump from the dopiest of waiters. So I think that in the customer facing end of the Trade most people know exactly wat a punter is after if they ask for bitter.

    As far a bitter that is bitter goes, I cut my 1970s drinking teeth in Brakspears/Morlands territory. Brakspears ordinary was of course lovely, but both Morland's Bitter and Best were some of the hoppiest beers out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to adore Brakspears PA and Morlands Bitter and Best. Their mild simply called Ale was very nice too.

      Delete

Comments, especially on older posts, may require prior approval by the blog owner. See here for details of my comment policy.

Please register an account to comment. Unregistered comments will generally be rejected unless I recognise the author. If you want to comment using an unregistered ID, you will need to tell me something about yourself.