- We are drinking more than ever and 1 in 4 people are drinking at hazardous levels
- Alcohol is cheaper than it was 20 years ago
- There is a worsening epidemic of underage drinking
- Alcohol-related hospital admissions have risen by 69%
- Lager is cheaper than water
It is doubtful that even the British Medical Association really believes that charging 50p a unit or banning Guinness adverts will make the slightest difference to rates of consumption, but that is not really the objective. The objective is to officially identify drinking as 'bad' in the same way that smoking is 'bad'. From that starting point, all else follows.