Friday 15 July 2011

Bloggers’ delight

There’s been plenty of talk in the beer blogosphere about Avery Brown Dredge, the special “Imperial Pilsner” brewed by BrewDog with the involvement of the three named beer bloggers.

I’d never come across it before, but last night in the Magnet in Stockport I spotted it in the fridge, so I ended up having a couple of bottles. £3 for a 330ml bottle of 7.5% beer isn’t cheap, but on the other hand you often pay that (although not in the Magnet) for a pint of 4% bitter, which contains less alcohol.

I thought it was an excellent beer – obviously very hoppy, but with the characteristic Pilsner grassiness rather than the full-on Panzer assault of Hardcore IPA, fairly light in body, and with an underlying maltiness. In a word, it had balance. Obviously, as I have said on here before, I enjoy a well-made lager.

Certainly a beer I’d buy more of if I found it in the off-trade, although £1.99 would be a more reasonable price.

10 comments:

  1. I think the price is reasonable owing to the large amount of malt and hops in the recipe and they aren't cheap, but would like to see it made again on a larger scale when the new brewery is open and hopefully that will bring the price down a bit.

    Its definitely one of my favourite brewdog beers of those I've tried

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get more darn ya!. Get a taste for the lout and soon anything golden, fizzy and cold will be sunk with appreciation and bought mainly on price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think £3 in the pub equates to £1.99 in the off-trade, which after all is the price of the Tesco rebadged Hardcore IPA.

    I was told last night by someone who is not afraid of hops that most of the "IPA is Dead" series were well-nigh undrinkable because of excessive hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What have you done with the real Curmudgeon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. jesus where the hell are you drinking!? £3 for a 7.5% bottle of brewdog IS cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "jesus where the hell are you drinking!? £3 for a 7.5% bottle of brewdog IS cheap!"

    Apparently it was £4.50 in the Port Street Beer House. But the Magnet is good value - most of the cask beers are £2.30 a pint.

    I think by its nature it's not a beer suitable to be served on cask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who furnished Tandleman with his £4.50 one, I'd say £3 for the on-trade was very cheap:)

    As for the "IPA is Dead" series, I reviewed them all and found they ranged from good to excellent. Certainly drinkable, albeit definitely aimed at hop lovers.

    I think by its nature it's not a beer suitable to be served on cask.

    Tut, tut, did a member of CAMRA really say that? There is absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work on cask. The PSBH has demonstrated that cask versiona of even more extreme beers than this can, and do, work well on cask.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "There is absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work on cask."

    Isn't a cask-conditioned bottom-fermenting lager something of a contradiction in terms?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not really. Anything goes these days:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments, especially on older posts, may require prior approval by the blog owner. See here for details of my comment policy.

Please register an account to comment. Unregistered comments will generally be rejected unless I recognise the author. If you want to comment using an unregistered ID, you will need to tell me something about yourself.