Wednesday 13 July 2011

Striking a pose

One of the key elements of the modern “oh we’re not a traditional boozer” design language for pubs and bars is high-level posing tables. They are a favourite of Wetherspoons, at least in entrance areas, and I recently went in a pub local to me where in the front area near the bar there was nothing but. It is beyond me how anyone could find them more comfortable than conventional chairs and tables (let alone bench seating) and they send out a clear message to any customers over 40 that this isn’t a place for them.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not over 40 but I much prefer proper seats too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me three. Though I think in a big place like pubs in the Wetherspoon chain there's room for both types of seating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even when I began going to pubs, I always preferred sitting at a table than standing at the bar. These tall tables are increasingly out of date, because they're meant to encourage vertical drinking and get more people into the pub; fewer chairs and tables free up more space. But most pubs are less busy nowadays and such tactics no longer serve any purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Stockport Wetherspoons has a long line of alcoves down the side opposite the bar, which are alternately occupied by posing tables and conventional bench seating. The place is a characterless box, but it would be considerably improved if all of these alcoves were used for bench seating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're the pub equivalent of those sloping benches in bus shelters - they're aimed at stopping anyone from taking their time over their drinks. I don't think it's ageist - if anything it's customerist.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, especially on older posts, may require prior approval by the blog owner. See here for details of my comment policy.

Please register an account to comment. Unregistered comments will generally be rejected unless I recognise the author. If you want to comment using an unregistered ID, you will need to tell me something about yourself.