The fallow period between Christmas and New Year inevitably gives rise to various diversions, one of which is the making of lists. One of these that cropped up on Twitter this week was listing five things that annoyed you beyond all reason. I couldn’t avoid the temptation to answer specifically for pubs, and indeed eventually stretched it to fifteen.
Specifically for pubs:— Pub Curmudgeon 🍻 (@oldmudgie) December 30, 2019
- Scatter cushions
- Loud music played for staff benefit
- Menu prices given as just "14"
- "Card payments only"
- Posing tables https://t.co/xiDIEn5JUp
These were a couple of other good ones:
And five more for good measure:— Pub Curmudgeon 🍻 (@oldmudgie) December 31, 2019
- “Full menu inside”
- Only toilet is a single WC
- Radio volume set so it’s just too quiet to hear the words (and no I’m not going deaf)
- Memorabilia bought by the yard with no local connection
- Pass-agg notices about what you can’t do
But, of course, not wanting to be entirely negative, I have in the past come up with a list of ten things I’d like to see in a good pub. Pub cat and Bass of course feature.
- murky beers— No Such User (@0x525) December 30, 2019
- stout with things added
- pale ales that taste of grapefruit
- twatty artwork on cans of beer that all looks like a child's colouring book
- Clarissa Mole and other virtue signalling beer "influencers"